The Female Ghost of Chairs

   
   I was at Nakul's house who had been my friend since school days. His mother, Mrs. Shanti Das was a maths teacher. We would call her 'Das Mam.' Nakul had invited me to attend his elder sister's marriage. Many other teachers were also present there. I touched the feet of every teacher including his/her spouse one by one. Finally, I saw Sugandha Mam. She was alone. "Where is her husband?" I asked myself out of curiosity. Every student has a curiosity to see the spouse of those who teach him. It is really difficult to imagine that those teachers who teach you like angels also manage a family. It is more difficut to imagine how they met their life partner. And almost impossible to wonder that it was a love marriage! I remembered that Sugandha Mam was engaged when I was still in school. Thereafter what happened, I don't know. Finally, I decided to touch her feet and get lots of blessings. "Namastey Mam! I am Swapnil, your student. You used to teach Sanskrit when I was in class 9. Do you remember?" I said that while touching her feet. She was not surprised and remembered me. I noticed a wave of happines on her face. "Yes! Mr. Swap, the speaker and poet. What do you do?" she questioned me. In reality, I am a person who is practical and asks direct questions, but personally, I don't like such people who do the same! At that point, what should have I said? Like: I am loser, a day-dreamer, who could not find even a petty job and survived by his father's meagre pension. However, I was dressed like a prince and talked like a star that day. Confidence and charm was oozing out of my body. "Nothing special. I was selected for several prestigious jobs, but chose not to join. Now, I'm a job creator, not a job-seeker. I am self-employed and deal in exports," said I with a layer of fake confidence. "Great Swap, really great," she accepted my bunch of lies. Then, we pulled chairs and sat together to discuss almost everything under the sun.

"Mam, where is Sir?"
"What Sir?"
"I mean your husband."
She gave me a strange look and said, "I am a bachelor like you. I love my freedom like you. I'm a feminist unlike you. By the way, I saw you yesterday with a girl in Anwar Market. Is she your friend or...? Never try to cheat her," she almost warned me. I saw a kind of spark in her eyes and her face was red. "Why should I? N...no...never!!!" that was what I could say then. I was bowled over by her smart answer and enigmatic way of talking. It was like talking to your classmate, not teacher. We could easily hear the sound of crackers and DJ by then.

   "Mam, actually I forgot that Nakul wanted some chairs in the courtyard. So I think I should go there. Please excuse me." Saying this I rushed to the main stage. I don't know why I was not feeling well. Before that meeting, Nakul had asked me to collect chairs from the backyard. When I went there to collect some chairs, I met Sugandha Mam who was sitting there alone and talking over the phone. Thereafter, our conversation began. I did not see her again neither while eating nor during the ceremony when the bride and the groom exchanged garlands. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the food and danced for hours. Nakul again proved that he is a nice host and a great friend.

   After a month, I met Anamika, my girlfriend who was out of station for three weeks. I was angry with her. "Where were you? You should have attended the marriage of Nakul's sister. It was amazing. Why didn't you tell me that you were going to your uncle's place?" I enquired.
"Sorry! I'm really sorry. You won't believe me what happened the night before the marriage," she tried to explain.
"Do you remember Sugandha Mam? That feminist teacher who taught us Sanskrit. The one who killed her husband!"
Alarmed and almost traumatized, I said, "What! But why? But she is happy now!"
"No...no...no. Actually, she is no more! All this happened ten years before. Her husband was a Cheat. He always not only demanded more and more dowry but also beat her. Besides, he had an extra-marital affair!!!"


   I was about to faint and could not stand on my feet. So I rested my body against the wall and covered my face with my hands. Anamika thought that I was expressing my sorrow over the unexpected event. She further said, "First, Sugandha Mam poisened her husband and then hanged herself from the ceiling fan. Leave that. But you won't trust that I saw her in my dream the night before the marriage of Nakul's sister. She was standing on a pile of chairs and dressed in red with blood dripping from all over her body. However, she blessed me that I would remain happy all my life and nobody could cheat me! But, I was severely frightened and wept all night. The next morning I boarded a train to Jaipur to see my uncle because my aunt died the same night. Uncle told me that aunty first cut her wrists from shards of mirror and then jumped from the attic. Her body was drenched in blood!" she said and started crying. I reconciled her. However, I terribly needed reconciliation more than anyone else in the universe. But, I had to pretend to be strong because I'm a man! Soon she became alright and we had dinner together. Finally, I dropped her home. To put in better words, I sat in her car and she drove herself home. I got out of the car just at the intersection preceding her home. From there I walked on foot to my home to save money.

   The next morning I had several questions in my mind. Life is an amazing process. That pretty and innocent woman called Sugandha or "ghost" who was fond of roses had met with a tragic end. "Anamika's aunt was the same lady who was associated with Sugandha Mam's husband. True or False? Was the "ghost" trying to warn me of the consequenes of having more than one affair?" I was flirting with a girl from Jaipur over the internet. Only she knew me by the name "Swap".

No comments: